United Way of South Texas currently has this position open:
JOB TITLE: Financial Stability Coordinator
REPORTS TO: President of United Way of South Texas
Provide leadership in establishing components to strengthen financial stability efforts in Hidalgo and Starr counties. The goal is to secure volunteers and financial support to operate free tax assistance sites throughout Hidalgo and Starr Counties. Additionally, the coordinator develops a curriculum to educate the community on financial stability services available. Assist with United Way special activities.
Time dedicated to each program may vary according to the annual cycle of tasks at hand.
Education / Experience
Bachelor’s degree and five years of work experience in a health & human service organization, with expertise in accounting and computer knowledge. Experience working with volunteers is a plus.
Knowledge / Skills
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to recruit, educate, cultivate and work with volunteers
- Fluent in English and Spanish
- Computer literate; extensive use of Excel and Microsoft Suite
- Basic knowledge of QuickBooks
- Demonstrated ability in problem-solving and organizational skills
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills (Grant writing experience a plus)
- Must have reliable transportation (and personal insurance)
- Regular hours are 8a.m.-5p.m., Monday through Friday. However, this position requires a significant weekly schedule shift to evenings and weekends during tax season.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITES AND DUTIES:
- Responsible for building organizational capacity, providing outreach to volunteers, employers, community groups, and media as well as communicating successes and challenges to all stakeholders.
- Compile and prepare all program outcomes reports, (i.e., volunteer hours, families served, total refunds, rejection rates. E-file rates, etc…
- Maintain current grants timeline, update account passwords and other requirements
- Facilitate all volunteer trainings
- Responsible for securing sufficient funding to keep the program self-sufficient, including but not limited to, grant writing, must meet financial goals annually.
- Recruit and develop volunteers, organize schedules, and develop plans to ensure the future sustainability of new initiatives.
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Work with staff and volunteers to begin workplace Financial Literacy sessions with selected groups.
- Coordinate VITA annual volunteer awards ceremony
- Develop a working knowledge of all areas of the organization to better compliment all functions of the agency’s work.
- Other duties as assigned.
Hourly Rate: $15 – $17, depending on experience and expertise.
Deadline to Submit Resume and Three References is Friday, November 8th. Send an email to Lilly Lopez-Killelea [email@example.com].
United Way also seeks applicants for VITA Site Coordinator:
VITA SITE COORDINATOR
This is a position made possible by United Way of South Texas. View the service description and details here:
United Way of South Texas is a nonprofit organization serving Hidalgo and Starr Counties. We work to improve education, financial stability, health, and safety net for everyone who lives and works in our community.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Site Coordinator provides coordination, organization, and supervision for all aspects of the VITA site operation. This position is a part-time (20 hours per week average) seasonal position that begins in January and ends the middle of April.
THE VITA PROGRAM CLIENT CRITERIA
The VITA program serves low- moderate-income families, providing free tax preparation for individuals and families who earn $60,000 or less.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
• Ensures the site complies with all IRS VITA site requirements.
• Ensures that the VITA site is open as scheduled and provides adequate volunteer coverage, supplies, tax materials, and equipment is maintained.
• Ensures that all tax returns are electronically filed with the IRS in a timely manner and that acknowledgments are reviewed.
• Ensures rejected returns are corrected, and the taxpayer is advised of any changes.
• Ensures that a quality review is conducted on each return prepared by volunteer tax preparers.
• Site Coordinator maintains accurate records of volunteer certifications and volunteer hours.
• Answers taxpayer questions regarding tax law or their tax return.
• Compile post‐season reports for end‐of‐season wrap‐up and evaluation.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Strong organizational, time management, and communication skills.
• Basic tax knowledge (Form 1040 and supporting schedules).
• Complete all training and certification requirements. Pass the IRS Tax Test at the Advanced Level.
• Basic computer skills for inputting tax return information into tax software (TaxSlayer).
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to manage VITA site Volunteers Ex: 6-10 volunteers during 5-10 hour shifts.
• Must be flexible and dependable with the ability to work evenings and Saturdays.
• Must have reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and proof of insurance.
• Document volunteer time for up to 60 individuals.
• Environmental Conditions: Work is performed indoors with regular local travel in the Hidalgo or Starr county areas.
Please Send Resume to United Way President Lily Lopez-Killelea at firstname.lastname@example.org