United Way of South Texas currently seeks to fill these positions:
Please send your resume to Eloise Alvizo at email@example.com.
United Way of South Texas Financial Stability VISTA
This is a position made possible by Americorps, United Way Worldwide and United Way of South Texas. View the service description and details here:
About United Way of South Texas
United Way saves the community thousands of dollars by consolidating fund raising efforts, providing a clear form of accountability, and investing in a diverse group of local non-profits.
United Way of South Texas (serving Hidalgo and Starr Counties) funds over 100 programs through 22 Partner Agencies and numerous Community Impact Grant recipients. Through these programs, we are helping youth succeed, strengthening and supporting families by providing employment placement for the disabled, elderly assistance, transportation assistance, emergency shelter, CPR training, and many other critical services.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
As an AmeriCorps VISTA, you can make a significant impact in the lives of others in Hidalgo and Starr Counties. Please read the complete listing of this service job here: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=97336. This is not a paid position, although there will be a modest living allowance to meet basic necessities.
You will build the capacity and expand financial literacy programming as part of our Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. Your service at our location will give you experience in grant writing, communication between sponsors and partner agencies, teaching financial literacy, meeting clients’ needs, analysis of measurements and outcomes and more. You will be a vital part of increasing economic opportunity for residents who seek VITA services.
Residents of Hidalgo and Starr Counties continue to leave thousands of dollars “on the table” each year due to their lack of understanding as to their eligibility for various tax credits and/or because they cannot afford tax return preparation assistance from commercial vendors in the area. Through your service, United Way of South Texas will reach more VITA clients with financial literacy services, identify best practices most likely to enhance program impact, and much more. Meanwhile, you will experience personal and professional growth in many areas, including stronger communication, leadership, program management and analysis skills.
Don’t wait to join the United Way of South Texas team. Our culture is one of service, kindness, and resourcefulness. We are a small, collaborative, and supportive group that works with intense purpose. We are looking for someone who is flexible, self-motivated, detail-oriented, and emotionally intelligent. Join us today!
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
In coordination with the Financial Stability Coordinator and United Way staff, responsibilities include: (1) Improve plans and amplify efforts that expand the efficiency, effectiveness and reach of volunteer-led and supported programs that help economically disadvantaged individuals with tax preparation and improve their financial knowledge. Research specific resources for families affected by COVID-19. (2) Develop and implement marketing, engagement and fundraising strategies that ensure a steady supply of competent and engaged volunteers and funding to support financial literacy goals and project sustainability. (3) Strengthen relationships with new and existing community partners and networks of individuals and families living in poverty in ways that could advance project goals, especially those impacted by COVID-19. (4) Participate in United Way and AmeriCorps VISTA Economic Mobility Project initiatives to maintain project quality and promote program success.
College graduate with Bachelor’s Degree
Please see full description here:
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
To apply, you must register and apply here:
This is a Volunteer (Stipend) position:
AmeriCorps VISTA members serving with United Way will be eligible for several benefits during service:
- Applicants relocating 50 or more miles for their volunteer position will receive a $750 settling-in allowance and relocation assistance to compensate for mileage travelled ($0.40 per mile)
- Serve with the world’s largest non-profit
- Opportunities to network and attend trainings
- Access professional development resources such as live webinars, LinkedIn Learning, and internal resources available on United Way Online
- Collaborate with local non-profits, service providers, local government, and corporate partners
- Receive a living allowance every two weeks, Click here for current living allowance rates by county
- Allotted 10 days of personal leave and 10 days of medical leave, in addition to holidays recognized by the host site
- Members with children under the age of 13 may be eligible for childcare benefits
- Reduction of Education Costs (GRE Fee Reduction, Loan Forbearance and Deferment, etc.) Click here for additional details
Upon completion of service there are additional benefits:
- Select one of two End-of-Service Awards: the AmeriCorps Segal Education Award , worth approximately $6000, or the End-of-Service Cash Stipend, worth approximately $1800
- Obtain 2 years of Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) Status when applying for federal employment
When you serve as an AmeriCorps VISTA with United Way, you become a member of the United Way family and belong to impressive network of national service members!
*stipends, travel allowances, and end-of-service awards are subject to change by CNCS